7 Leadership Reminders

With so much information – and advice – out there it’s hard to keep in perspective what is important and what is noise. Below are 7 practical reminders on leading.

1. You will need to spread the message more than once.

2. If people are given direction they will produce.

3. As a leader you don’t have to do all the work.

4. Focus on those that are willing to follow, everyone else will fall into place. Or you’ll need to move them on.

5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions from those that have the knowledge.

6. Let those that have skills lead in their area of expertise.

7. Listen twice as much as you speak.

Any other reminders for leaders out there?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 7 Leadership Reminders

1. Dan Black says:

Great reminders Juan! I would add to remember to encourage and speak hope to our people.

2. I think one crucial reminder is to work hard in actively training leaders under you. :)

3. tcavey says:

#1 & 7 really stand out to me!

Great list.

4. Tom Dixon says:

I like #3…it is the one I most often forget. I hate it when I am so busy I can’t see straight and then remember…oh, yea…I’ve got a team behind me!

I’d add focusing on the TEAM and not on yourself, we need to change the language from “I” to “We”. Give your team credit for successes, but own the failures yourself.

• Juan Cruz Jr says:

Tom, thanks for sharing. I too forget that I don’t have to do it all myself. I don’t have all the right skill sets or knowledge. That’s why it is important to hire the right people.

5. TJ Trent says:

Juan,

Numbers one and seven hit home! I need to make sure I practice listening everyday.

And number two rings home because I just experienced this issues with on of my junior leaders. He had been given very little direction and was operating based upon the direction he was given. When I arrived everyone wondered why his performance was just okay. I reviewed his files and immediately it was apparent. He was suffering from a lack of direction (a leadership issue) and not a lack of potential or passion.

I made arrangements for him to join my team and took him under my wing. He has done a complete 180 and everyone recognizes it including my leaders.

You hit the nail on the head Juan!!

• Juan Cruz Jr says:

TJ, awesome story. As a leader we must look to ourselves to see where we have failed. As you point out, many times, it’s not that the individual doesn’t have the passion or the skills, but needs direction and leadership. Thanks for sharing this personal experience.

6. Drew Tewell says:

Good insights, Juan! I would add never give up. Thanks for sharing.