Leaders should set the example of being joyful. No, being joyful doesn’t mean that everything goes your way. It doesn’t mean that you won’t have conflict with customers, employees, or conflict at home.
As leaders we should set the tone at home and work and we should start by being joyful despite the challenges with face every day.
One of the stumbling blocks to joy is trying to be in control of everything that happens around us. That is nearly impossible and as they saying goes, a recipe for disaster.
Here are three things to give up and be joyful:
1. Give up control – no one knows how to do the job of your employees better than the employees themselves. Don’t micro-manage or try to control, it will only cause you frustrations. Once you give up control of the day to day operations, you’ll have more time for setting vision which is one of your primary jobs as a leader.
2. Give up being right – if you want to know how things get done correctly, ask your employees, and even your children. As a leader you are not meant to be right all the time. More often than not your employees know first hand how work gets done, how customers perceive your products and services, among many other things.
3. Give up trying to make people like you – as a leader, generally speaking, I don’t care about the means, as long as they are ethical, I care more about the outcome. As a leader that’s why I make every effort to involve my employee to do things their way, that makes the most sense, and is most efficient and effective to get work done.
Then after you have given up. Here are some things you can do keep your joy:
1. Have a hobby you enjoy – Having a hobby can be a good way to learn something new. Leaders should learn often and keep the mind sharp. A gloomy mind is a joyless life.
2. Read good books – Leaders are readers might be a cliche, but it doesn’t make it any less true. Sharpen your mind with a good book that is full of wisdom and insight. You’ll be happy to discover from good books that others face many of the same challenges you do and it will encourage you that you are not alone.
3. Listen to encouraging music – I love good music. Nothing gets mind and body excited like some good encouraging music with a positive message.
What are other things you can give up, and what else can help you maintain your joy?